About Literacy Texas
Literacy Texas is the statewide literacy coalition, connecting and equipping literacy programs through resources, training, networking and advocacy. Our vision is that every literacy organization in Texas will have the resources it needs to help as many people as possible learn basic literacy skills in order to participate fully in society.
A Message From Our Friends
Resources, Training, Networking & More!
Our Annual Conference is in August, but we offer regional and virtual symposiums and events throughout the year.
Our Three Core Audiences
Resources for our PROGRAM PARTICIPANTSLiteracy Texas provides its Program Participant
members with diverse resources such as:Learn More
- Access to Adult Literacy training
- Networking with other Literacy Texas members
- Professional Development pathways
- Adult Literacy news & resources
- Help and support with literacy issues
- Login access to unique literacy resources
Resources for our LITERACY ORGANIZATIONSLiteracy Texas provides its Literacy Organizations with diverse resources such as:Learn More
- Free training for volunteers
- Google map location information for students
- Nonprofit leadership training
- Free sessions on fundraising
- Free sessions on grant writing
- Access to videos of symposium & conference sessions
Resources for our STRATEGIC SUPPORTERSLiteracy Texas provides its Strategic Supporters with diverse opportunities such as:Learn More
- Sharing of Adult & Family Literacy teaching resources
- Sponsorship of literacy experts who present at events
- Exposure to Adult Literacy providers across Texas
- Support for Literacy Texas’ advocacy initiatives
- Partner discounts for teachers & organizations
- Logo and link on the Literacy Texas website
Literacy Issues Impacting the Texas Economy
Texas has 6.5 million residents who speak a language other than English at home. Texas has a growing and diverse population.
In Texas there are 3.8 million adults without a high school diploma.
A rise of 1 percent in literacy scores leads to a 2.5 percent rise in Texas labor productivity.
Literacy programs throughout Texas are only serving 3.6 percent of the 3.8 million in need.
Dropouts cost Texas $9.6 billion annually (United Way of Texas). Improving this number will greatly enhance the economic welfare of Texas.
Texas is 47th among states ranked by percent of literate citizens in 2017.
What Literacy Texas is Doing About It
Our Strategic Supporters Are The Best!
Making an impact on literacy in Texas isn't something we can do by ourselves.
See the organizations behind the scenes who make all that we do possible.
Good Things Are Happening at Literacy Texas
Membership in Literacy Texas Has Many Benefits
Grow your skills, attend programs and webinars, learn from keynote speakers, improve professionally.
Literacy Training & Resources
Get access to literacy training, the LT resource library, news updates and even more training materials.
Engage and network with other program participants, organizations, LT supporters and volunteers.
Symposiums & Conferences
Go to symposiums throughout Texas, learn about new issues & advocacy and attend LT’s 3-day conference.
Explore the World of Literacy News
The Texas Center for the Book has announced that the South Texas Literacy Coalition is the recipient of the sixth annual Texas Center for the Book Literacy Award. This $2,000
Guest blog post by Wes Young, MLS, Executive Director, Tarrant Literacy Coalition The effects of the ongoing pandemic have brought many deficiencies into sharp focus. The people who have been most